Hands On Tourist Guiding
The course is designed as an introductory course in practical guiding skills and is also suitable for guides who are already competent in local knowledge but wish to improve their practical guiding skills.
Location: The courses are available on location worldwide, on request.
Course Content will include:
Practical Tourist Guiding Skills:
- Two-day Communication Seminar, which includes sessions on presentation skills, self-evaluation, structuring knowledge and tailoring the tour to the audience
- Guiding on a walk (town)
- Guiding in a site (e.g. museum or art gallery, archaeological site, place of worship or sacred site, battlefield or others as per location)
- Guiding on a Moving Vehicle
- Guiding people with special needs – Tourism for All
- Voice training
- Optional: Guiding using a whisper-system
- Itineraries/tour plans and time management
- The challenges of different types of guiding
- Conservation of sites and the Tourist Guides’ role
- Sustainable tourism development
- Group psychology
- Cultural sensitivities
- Research techniques
- Running a professional tourist guide business
- Tourist Guides’ role in tourism and guiding ethics
Assessment and Examination:
Practical guiding assessments and written and/or oral examinations.
Depending on individual results, WFTGA issues either Certificates of Successful Completion of the course or Certificates of Attendance.
For courses conducted in the WFTGA International Training Centres, certificates are issued jointly by the University of Cyprus or Yerevan State University, respectively.
Progression is possible to WFTGA National Trainer through the Train the Trainer (TtT) Course.
This course may be adapted as Site Guide Training Course